Weight Loss Ticker

Thursday, January 28, 2010

My First Fill

Well my first fill was actually a non event.  I managed to go earlier than expected but that was the good part.  I accidentally went to Tafe today and we don't actually start for another 2 weeks.  So I had a coffee with another girl who turned up with me and then DH (who was working from home) and I went to see Avatar....what a fantastic movie.  How do they come up with that stuff????  Unreal banana peel!!!!

Anyway after the movies I drove the hour plus to see the DR.  Got to see the sidekick I suppose now that I have been operated on I won't see the main surgeon and this kind of sums up my feeling with the clinic I have chosen.  The Dr went through how I had been going and it all seemed fine but I just can't help shaking the feeling that I am just a number.   As the fill went...no big deal.  No sting and 1.5ml in (no idea in cc's sorry).

I then went out to make the appointment for the next month and of course they really have no spots that suit me.  I need to see the dietician this visit and they suggested I see her and come back another time for the DR.  I said no way...at a two hour plus trip no with traffic ...I don't think so.  So all the times basically suck and they only do 2 half days consulting a week.  Just adding to my bad omen feeling is that now that they have the money perhaps they don't care???? 

If I am honest I had some reservations about this at the initial visit but was so keen to get in before Christmas that I just went with it.  I also wanted to go to a hospital far away as my mother was a RN in  hospital theatres in our area and I didn't want to end up with a friend or acquaintance of hers running in to me as I have keep this from my family.  I suppose I didn't really think through the follow up bit in terms of driving time.  Hey I suppose I am closer than Gen or Debi but I hope your support is worth the travel....doubting mine.

I mean in Australia we are so lucky that we don't have to go through all the rigmarol that you guys in the States/ Canada have to but then we pay around $5000 out of pocket if we have health insurance more if we don't.  So for that I get the operation, all follow up visits with the Dr's, dietican and psycholigist(sp) and no further fee's etc but how now that I have the band how that helpful if I can't get decent appointments and support.  I mean they couldn't get me in a month so my next appointment is 5 weeks.

I just feel that this isn't working for me.  I am not losing, I am not eating much but I am getting back into the wine at night.  After the operation I just thought it was a dream come true but no so much now.   So sorry for the whinge....maybe I need a good cry....or it could be coming up to that time of the month???  If it really gets me down I will just go somewhere else closer and pay for the fills.  Will see what happens

Anyway....thought I would go for a swim or deep water aerobics tomorrow now my foot is not hurting so much.  My kids had a great first day and I hope all others going back to school were well settled and happy.  Have been searching the recipe books for a meal tomorrow night so trying to get motivated.

If you bother to read my blog...thanks for listening

Till then ...GB xxx

6 comments:

  1. Always willing to listen, Sally. And I totally get your frustration.

    First up, I'm glad the fill was trouble free - as to what to do about the doc.. not sure. Maybe have a look around and see if anyone else appeals. Can you claim the fills thru medicare? I do .. I pay $140 for the fill then claim $110 back so the fills are negligible price wise. Also cc's are the same as ml's (see, arent I handy as a go between? I have it all worked out now lol)

    I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. :) Sucks when you feel down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your fill went ok. Seeing as the lapband maintenance seems to be a lifetime kind of thing, I think you should find another doctor that you feel more comfortable with. My impression is that aftercare is the most important part of having the band and if you can't get in as often as you need to for fills and support, it's going to be bigger struggle. Hang in there and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fills are included in the price I pay for surgery (CDN$16,000) but the clinic is 5 hours away. I have a local Doctor here who will do them for $75 each time. He runs the Weight Loss clinic I have gone to for the past 4 years so I get counselling throughout the month (I still pay a bit for these visits too). I figure it is worth it in the long run as I need to be accountable to someone. And his nurses are really mean-NOT!. If you calculate the gas and the inconvenient times it might be good to look for someone closer by.

    Cheer up. I think you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy your first fill was okay but sorry to hear your lack of confidence in the place you are going, YIKES!

    You are doing great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't worry too much if you weight loss has stalled a little - you have only just had you first fill. You will need several before getting any real restriction (unless you are a lucky one of course)

    It sucks that you don't feel that good about your clinic - I hope things improve next visit - it may have taken 5 weeks to get an appointment because a lot of the docs have been on holidays and then they come back and EVERYONE is waiting to see them. :-) Hopefully that is the case for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it's frustrating at the beginning but you just need to hang in there. It might take 3-4 fills before you get the right restriction happening. Just keep doing the right things and when you can, start moving (walking, riding or swimming might be ok for your foot?).

    Sucks that you're feeling that way about your doc. I would definately do some research on docs closer to home.

    Good luck!
    Em :)

    ReplyDelete